We were delighted to recently learn that PLHS Year 10 student Alleigh Hamnett has been selected to participate in the University of New South Wales’ 2017 Women in Engineering Camp.
During the four-day camp in Sydney in mid-January, Alleigh will be granted the opportunity to:
- explore the diverse fields of engineering
- participate in interesting activities and workshops in health and bio systems, energy systems and the digital future
- meet like-minded students and work in teams on engineering design challenges
- visit sites around Sydney that showcase engineering in action
- meet a range of successful engineers at a networking function
- explore career and lifestyle opportunities in Australia and internationally
- meet engineering students and graduates keen to share their experiences
- live on campus, enjoy a number of social events and make new friends
Alleigh successfully completed an online application process in order be selected for this amazing opportunity. She will join around sixty young women at the camp; most of the attendees live in Sydney, but others will be coming in from all over the nation, including a few others from SA.
Her application included written responses to a series of questions, copies of her impressive Semester 1 Report card and recent Academic Achievement Awards, plus a referee – her Science teacher, Mrs Caitlin Wellfare.
Congratulations to Alleigh, her family and teachers on this wonderful recognition – we wish her all the best for the camp and look forward to hearing all about it upon her return to the 2017 school year.